Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A step in the right direction!

Well, I haven't had the chance to blog for a while- but I have a GREAT excuse! My family purchased a restaurant in Dagsboro, De called the Dagsboro Cafe http://www.dagsborocafe.com/ . And, guess who is doing all of the baking?!?!?! Yes, me!!! This means that I can finally offer my cakes to everyone instead of just family and friends.

Lots of my friends have tried to convince me to just make cakes out of my house and sell them; but, being the scaredy cat rule follower that I am, I just couldn't bring myself to do that until I had a commercial kitchen to work out of. My sweet neighbor (I'll protect his identity :) even said "Donald Trump didn't get where he is today by following all of the rules, Ginny!" I know he probably didn't, but something in me whispers that God will help me even if I putter along following the rules along the way.

So, I have officially entered the next step in my quest to offer allergy friendly cakes to all of the kiddos that, otherwise, wouldn't have a birthday cake like their friends' cakes. Mind you, I know their mommies are all scrambling to make whatever kind of cake they can to bring some semblance of normalcy to their restricted diets. My mom and I made countless "creations" for my brother for his special celebrations. We did our best and he sure did appreciate it- but it just wasn't the same and we knew it.

A couple of years ago, I took a Wilton Cake decorating class at Michael's Arts and Crafts in Bel Air, MD. In the class, we had to bake our own cakes and bring them in to decorate them. During that time, I perfected several cake flavors that rose beautifully and were actually tastier and moister than any other cake I (or any of my friends) had tasted. I altered their icing recipe too, creating a fantastic butter cream icing that was also completely egg free. Now, finally, after over twenty years, my poor little brother was going to get his first REAL decorated cake!!!! I was so excited, probably even more excited than him.

Anyway, over the past couple of years, God has blessed me with an artistic ability I never knew I had. I really feel like I am supposed to DO something with this. Well, I guess I'll make a new entry for that story.

No comments: